AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Windows 7

Windows 7 Questions and discussion related to Windows 7

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th November, 2009, 07:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Microsoft sells Windows 7 desktop to advertisers

Written by Daniel
Friday, 13 November 2009 18:48

Pilot program with Ferrari, Pepsi, Porsche and others helps squeeze every dollar out of OS, says analyst

Microsoft today announced that it would sell Windows 7 desktop real estate to advertisers and launched a pilot program that includes Coke, Infiniti and Porsche.

Using Windows 7 themes -- collections of backgrounds, borders and audio elements -- advertisers will be able to brand the desktop, Microsoft said. [Front page..]
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th November, 2009, 08:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

How much more of this can poor Chrisbard stand!?...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th November, 2009, 08:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I love this part! ":O}

"These are great examples of Microsoft innovation and technology coming together to enable top global brands to reach audiences in new and interesting ways."
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th November, 2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 14th November, 2009, 11:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

You can download these themes now. There are several other "branded" themes as well. "Bing" being a nice one.
Old 14th November, 2009, 03:22 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Well Microsoft is doing it's best to make the customers happy!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 14th November, 2009, 06:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I don't see a particular problem with this, so long as it is by the user's choice.

Thing is, I really don't see what the big deal is, either. I mean, it's been possible since Windows 95 to install themes on your desktop, and there's been nothing preventing people from installing e.g. a Coke theme. I'd wager you can find literally hundreds of Bugatti themes on the web right now. DVI (the company I used to work for) had a desktop theme that we installed on our servers and provided to our clients so that they could install it if they wanted.

So, am I missing something here? Why would a company PAY Microsoft for the privilege of doing something they can already do?
Old 14th November, 2009, 07:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

My personal objection, perhaps not shared here, (perhaps not shared anywhere":O} is that we are becoming a nation of pimps and whores. Where little matters beyond what we can afford to buy or are willing and able to sell. For me, again just my personal view, this encourages that mind set.

Case in point, teachers sell add space on tests to pay to have the test printed as "We" don't want to finance even the basics of our children's education...

You guys know MS, how long before MS lets you buy your OS at a discount if you accept the ads they want to pimp to you...how many will say no to that...

If your first thought is "Well that's a matter of personal choice" then I rest my case.":O}

To be honest, i didn't occure to me that others outside of MS might see this as

"These are great examples of Microsoft innovation and technology coming together to enable top global brands to reach audiences in new and interesting ways."

Well as a "Good thing"

I would only add, as a reminder, that choice can lie outside of that which is bought and sold, a whole other way of looking at this world, lies out side of what is being bought and sold...

"And none of them any where along the line have any idea of what it's worth"

Bob Dylan

J.C. and the boys would understand what I'm saying without having to think about it... that's how much has already changed. Has been changed by this approach to viewing life.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th November, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 14th November, 2009, 11:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
If your first thought is "Well that's a matter of personal choice" then I rest my case.":O}
So, personal choice is only a factor when it comes to killing the unborn? As long as it's only the killing of the innocent we can make a distasteful choice and you have no objection, but when it comes to advertising in our operating systems, that's a line to far?

Honestly Daniel, you confuse the hell out of me.
Old 15th November, 2009, 05:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I am a little as well. If I choose to install the theme then I see that they are gaining nothing. It's not like I am going to buy a Bugatti just because I have it on my desktop. ANd it's not like any one else will see it enough to sway any one else to do so. If this is too far I must be seeing things wrong end.
Old 15th November, 2009, 07:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
So, personal choice is only a factor when it comes to killing the unborn? As long as it's only the killing of the innocent we can make a distasteful choice and you have no objection, but when it comes to advertising in our operating systems, that's a line to far?

Honestly Daniel, you confuse the hell out of me.
If you got this from anything I wrote I'd have to say your confusing your self! ":O}

Break it down for me how did you arrive at this as being any part of what I wrote??
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th November, 2009, 07:25 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
I am a little as well. If I choose to install the theme then I see that they are gaining nothing. It's not like I am going to buy a Bugatti just because I have it on my desktop. ANd it's not like any one else will see it enough to sway any one else to do so. If this is too far I must be seeing things wrong end.
My objection lies not in what you chose to put on your desktop. But in their motives for offering you a Bugatti ad as a desktop. My objection lies not in the Industrial art of the Bugatti , which is after all rather beautiful. But in the ad that will follow upon it. the constant effort to pre-condition our minds to a life of consumerism ( We even have a word for it now,"consumerism") and acquisition; rather than a life of self cultivation, a life dedicated to personal virtue rather than personal wealth.

Education has become the means for us to acquire wealth, rather than a means by which we might offer better service to others by becoming better people.

I hope this helps you in understanding what I've tried so awkwardly to convey.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 15th November, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 15th November, 2009, 10:10 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Since when has Education been a means by which we might offer a better service to others? Even back in cultures like the Roman empire, that wasn't the case.
Old 15th November, 2009, 01:59 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
So, am I missing something here? Why would a company PAY Microsoft for the privilege of doing something they can already do?
This must be their definition of innovation. There's a different word for it, in the Oxford dictionary.
Old 15th November, 2009, 04:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
If you got this from anything I wrote I'd have to say your confusing your self! ":O}

Break it down for me how did you arrive at this as being any part of what I wrote??
Well now, that's entirely possible.

Your comment of 'If your first thought is "Well that's a matter of personal choice" then I rest my case. :O}' SEEMED to suggest that you felt that in fact is WASN'T a matter of personal choice at all.

Your subsequent post to Samuknow has sufficiently clarified the issue for me though.

You are absolutely right that Microsoft will soon offer ad-supported software; anyone who can't see where this is all headed is a fool, IMO. And yet, how is that so very different from what we do right here in this forum, with the ads that we display? Are our motives then any more pure than Microsoft's?

Last edited by Gizmo; 15th November, 2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 15th November, 2009, 06:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

We tried anything we could think of before using ads...yes? the ads we use can be turned off by subscription. We are not looking to "Create new and exciting ways to get rich", we did not make this world MS and the like did, we are just trying to live in it.

MS doesn't HAVE to do this to earn a living, They have to do this to feed their unending greed.

We have to use ads just to exist. These are enough differences for me to live with the evil we must do in order to labor in the good...

BTW what I was trying to get across with the personal choice thing is this... WE DON'T have a choice when it comes to the ad culture of greed it's see and hear them or go deaf and blind... we've just been told that we do.

We have come to except them as if they are a good thing rather than a major cause of global warming. We live as the ads wish us to. And as we should all know by now...Our way of life spells death for our planet and thus death for our children...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 15th November, 2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 15th November, 2009, 07:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
Since when has Education been a means by which we might offer a better service to others? Even back in cultures like the Roman empire, that wasn't the case.
It was for me. And it did help make me a better person...which of course left me impoverished...":O}

( Though the two may not be all that closely connected. after all lot's of bad people are impoverished":O}

When I was in school, "Most" of those that I hung around with were looking to become better people, they saw the need to earn a living, but NONE of them were going to school to get rich... ( IF they were in secrecy, they had the good grace to be ashamed of it and were silent about it!) But then we were all in the Liberal Arts.

But before the Roman empire, standing in the mists of time, if we strain our eyes we may still see Socrates, Plato, the Buddha, and the Nazarene... none of them advertised (They lived an example) and none of them strived to become rich... We use to look up to them as our exemplars as having walked a path worth following for the individual and the nation. (Though few of our leaders ever did!)

Now even priests seek wealth and palaces, even ministers want to live in mansions of gold, even Buddhists make war... The salt has lost it's savor...

We use to ( in my day) see these things a vices and signs of corruption, now we are comfortable with their messengers ( Ads) surrounding us and over whelming our senses, our schools, our public meeting places and our homes...

Carlos Santana's mother's advice to her son:

"Always remember where you came from and fear money."

Our ears are no longer "in tune" to such advice and I fear this will be the death of our world... ( But as it has been said..."Knights of the faith always stand alone" ":O}

I do realize that to a large extent that I am preaching to the congregation. I do not see you guys are greedy men... But I see us living in exceedingly corrupt times...

Some where near the end of our world...weather a new world will come after I cannot see. But that this one is near it's end... this for me, is now self evident. Mankind must change or will surly parish. Our way of life has reached the end of the line for nearly all that is good in this world is being lost or gone already

That we are seeing and listening to ads in our heads prevents many from seeing what is taking place before their eyes.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 15th November, 2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 15th November, 2009, 09:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
We are not looking to "Create new and exciting ways to get rich"
Quote:
I do not see you guys are greedy men...
Speak for yourself. I'm here because of the fabulous opportunities to acquire untold riches.
Old 15th November, 2009, 09:17 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

What where when and most important why? Wait did I told U guys I raged at MSN video turned into **** with help from Bing? OMG I can't believe someone was stupid enough to turn MSN live feed into **** with BING !!!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 16th November, 2009, 12:25 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Speak for yourself. I'm here because of the fabulous opportunities to acquire untold riches.
Of course you are! I meant other than that! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 16th November, 2009, 12:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
What where when and most important why? Wait did I told U guys I raged at MSN video turned into **** with help from Bing? OMG I can't believe someone was stupid enough to turn MSN live feed into **** with BING !!!
You went to MSN Live!????

(If you step off a cliff you should expect the fall! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur