Forum latest

The Hardware Hall of Fame
Hardware
Written by Danrok   
Tuesday, 29 December 2009 17:35

From Bit-tech.net:

In this country, we tend to be modest – and if not, then there’s usually a hint of apology, sarcasm or irony in our triumphalism. If Muhammad Ali had come from Kent instead of Kentucky, can you imagine him saying, "I’m not the greatest; I’m the double greatest. Not only do I knock ’em out, I pick the round"? No; he’d probably say that he was "pretty good" and shrug. There’s a reason why we don’t have cheerleaders during half-time at Yeovil vs Brentford, drive tank-sized SUVs to take us three minutes down the road and can, with a straight face, present the Ashes urn – which is roughly the size of a Mars bar – as a prize for a serious international sporting event. This isn’t to say that this is always a good thing.

Being overly modest can result in genius going unappreciated, chances being wasted and the lessons of the past being forgotten. While we aren’t suggesting replacing the Ashes with a hulking great piece of silverware the size of ice hockey’s Stanley Cup, we think there’s something in the American idea of celebrating the best, the brightest and most brilliant with a Hall of Fame.

[More...]

[Comments...]

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either