Forum latest

10 Reasons Why the PS3 Slim Will Save Sony
Gaming
Written by Daniel   
Friday, 21 August 2009 11:53
In a recent PC World article, one of my colleagues suggested that the "Slimmed PS3 Won't Save Sony."

Matt Peckham
Aug 21, 2009 7:34 am

Let's play devil's advocate and consider the alternative, which is that it will, with an appended "and then some." Sony just slashed the price of its flagship console by $100, a full 25% drop, significant by any measure. For 300 bones, you can have a Blu-ray playback device with integrated wireless, 1080p HDMI output, a 120GB upgradeable (within warranty) hard drive, and free online multiplayer et al. support. Not too shabby.

Sony's has its work cut out, to be sure, but the PS3 Slim knocks the legs out from under the "boutique pricing" caveat. In fact I think the Slim puts Sony back in the game with bells on, whether Microsoft pulls the trigger on a 360 Elite price drop (from $400 to $300) or not.

Here's why.

The five-month decline in video game sales is predicted to be in reverse as I type this. According to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter's August 10th game sales report, "Beginning in August, we expect a return to monthly software sales growth, with September likely to come in at +30% or higher…We believe that July marks the last month of negative double-digit sales declines, and that video game software sales will rebound in August, with modest upside expected…and expect share prices to recover as investor concerns abate." So the market as a barrier, and the PS3's previous "boutique" price in said market, are probably off the table as attenuating factors if we place stock in Pachter's upbeat forecast. [PC World...]    [Comments...]

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either