Forum latest

Security professionals Vs. Hackers Vs job security
General
Written by Daniel   
Friday, 18 August 2006 23:49
Dark Reading looks at the security industry"

Firewalled

The Real Threat to the Security Industry

AUGUST 18, 2006 | 1:00 PM -- Security professionals spend their whole day trying to eliminate vulnerabilities, stop hackers, and lock down sensitive information. What if, one day, they actually succeeded? What if, by some miracle, they created a perfectly secure system?

Yep, that's right. They'd all be out of a job.

It's a harsh reality, but the fact is that every security pro's livelihood – indeed, the very growth of the security industry itself – depends on the threat increasing, not decreasing. The greater the danger, the more money allocated for security staff, technology, and pay raises. If the danger ever decreases, security will become less important, and those dollars will begin to go away.

This reality became crystal clear to me this week as I attempted to research my story about the cost of IT security incidents. (See How Much Does a Hack Cost?) In the story, I searched for "conventional wisdom" and hard numbers to show what it costs for an enterprise each time it gets hacked.

What I found, however, was an ever-growing pile of "research" (and in some cases, I use the term loosely), often created by security people to help other security people prove that there is a reason for their existence....( There's much more on this!)

Discussion

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either