Forum latest

Microsoft's Ballmer suffers severe case of 'Foot in mouth' disease?
General
Written by Gizmo   
Wednesday, 22 November 2006 21:06

As noted by our very own Favu last Friday ; Steve Ballmer has publicly stated that "Novell pays us some money for the right to tell customers that anybody who uses SUSE Linux is appropriately covered," because otherwise "we believe every Linux customer basically has an undisclosed balance-sheet liability."

Well, it seems that comment has ticked off a number of CIOs with a number of large companies.  In fact, according to this ComputerWorld article , Barry Strasnick (CIO of CitiStreet) commented:

"Like many IT executives, I took great offense to Ballmer's comments".  He went on to say, "If Microsoft really thinks there is some code in Linux that violates their patents, they should publish those lines of codes immediately instead of just posturing in the press. [Fear, uncertainty and doubt] may have worked for IBM in the 1970s (some of us are old enough to have been around then), but not today."  In addition, he said "There were some applications I had been thinking about moving to a Microsoft platform, but this has now totally alienated me from Microsoft".

Microsoft are busy spinning Ballmer's comments, while Novel are busy flatly disavowing them.

And Ballmer?  Well, one would assume he is still counting his last bonus.

Comment in the forums!

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either