Forum latest

IC power standards convergence falters
General
Written by Gizmo   
Friday, 23 March 2007 20:16

EETimes

Richard Goering

With new developments in the IEEE and the Silicon Integration Initiative (Si2), it now appears that a hoped-for convergence between two rival IC low-power specifications will not take place anytime soon. IC designers will likely be confronted with two standards that will need to sort themselves out in the marketplace.

Read the full story at EETimes :

"For a paper spec convergence, I think it is probably too late," said Steve Schulz, Si2 president. "It just doesn't seem possible. I think the best thing is to let this play itself out on the marketplace." But the Si2 Common Power Format (CPF) and the Accellera Unified Power Format (UPF) will ultimately converge, he said. "I don't think the two formats will continue independently in the marketplace for very long."

Both UPF and CPF allow users to specify power intent and constraints throughout the RTL-to-GDSII design flow, and use very similar approaches to do so. The Common Power Format (CPF), developed by Cadence Design Systems and managed by the Silicon Integration Initiative's (Si2's) Low Power Coalition (LPC), became publicly available in early March.

UPF is a rival effort backed by Synopsys, Mentor Graphics, and Magma Design Automation. It was released as an Accellera standard in late February. An IEEE low-power study group arose from the UPF effort, and it has requested the CPF copyright from Si2 so it can converge the two formats into one.

Comment in the forums!

See also

None found.

Hardware | Windows | Linux | Security | Mobile Devices | Gaming
Tech Business | Editorial | General News | folding@home

Forum | Download Files

Copyright ©2001 - 2012, AOA Forums.  All rights reserved.

Alliance of Overclocking Arts

Links monetized by VigLink

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either