Forum latest

Finding a bride in a brothel: a review of Uncharted
General
Written by Daniel   
Tuesday, 04 December 2007 11:16

PS3 content has been the focus of many. What can I say, PS3 has just become an interest of mine as well! ":O}

Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?
By Frank Caron | Published: November 27, 2007 - 11:45PM CT
ARS Technica

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Developer: Naughty Dog
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Platform: PlayStation 3
Price: $59.99 (Shop.Ars)
Rating: T (Teen)

When I was a kid, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark was one of my favorite movies. When I was still very young, my father and I would spend lazy Saturdays watching the then-cutting-edge VHS copy of the movie. For some, Harrison Ford would forever be Han Solo, but in my mind he was forever and always Indy: master of adventure, wooer of ladies, son of Connery, and hater of snakes.

It has been said before, but it's a fitting comparison: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune very much captures the spirit of Indiana Jones. The game has drawn a lot of comparisons to the Tomb Raider series, but aside from the idea of raiding lost tombs and overcoming some environmental platforming puzzles, the two don't share all that much. Uncharted is, like its inspiration, an adventurous ride on the search for treasure; there's rarely a dull moment, and all-out action is given precedence over sifting through unexplained environmental puzzles. What Tomb Raider lacked in direction and narrative, in action and pace, in control and polish, Uncharted provides in spades.

Surprisingly, the premise and the general playing of Uncharted is relatively straightforward. With so many complex, expansive, and mysterious story lines out there in other big games with the likes of Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, and BioShock, Uncharted actually comes off with a distinct simplicity. Sure, you'll learn more about the world of the game and the different capers that the main character Nate, his companions, and his enemies are involved in, but there's little mystery to the action: like Indiana Jones, the joy is derived from the nonstop locomotion of the adventure rather than the nuances of the events themselves.Much much More      Comment in the Forums

See also

None found.

Hardware | Windows | Linux | Security | Mobile Devices | Gaming
Tech Business | Editorial | General News | folding@home

Forum | Download Files

Copyright ©2001 - 2012, AOA Forums.  All rights reserved.

Alliance of Overclocking Arts

Links monetized by VigLink

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either