Forum latest

Gamers fight back against lackluster Spore gameplay, bad DRM
General
Written by Daniel   
Monday, 08 September 2008 12:21
Spore, after more than 10 years of development time, is finally available for the PC and Mac.
By Ben Kuchera | Published: September 08, 2008 - 10:54AM CT 

The game comes from the mind of the talented Will Wright, the man who gave us The Sims and the original SimCity titles. No matter what people think about the actual game play the story now centers around the DRM scheme EA built into the title, and a grassroots movement has begun to tell gamers just how bad the DRM sucks. The method? Bombing the comments on Amazon.com.
Right now the game has 222 customer reviews, with 194 of them giving the game one star. The game also has nine five-star reviews, two of which were written in 2006, with the others spending significant amounts of time complaining about the one-star reviews. The game's rating sits at 1.5 stars as of this writing. 

So what are the people complaining about? Taking a look at the review Amazon tagged as "the most helpful critical review," it's pretty clear. "First of all, the game incorporates a draconian DRM system that requires you to activate over the internet, and limits you to a grand total of 3 activations," the disgruntled user wrote. "If you reach that limit, then you'll have to call EA in order to add one extra activation. That's not as simple as it sounds, since when you reach that point EA will assume that you, the paying customer, are a filthy pirating thief. You will need to provide proof of purchase, reasons why the limit was reached..." 

Another gamer was just as blunt. "The DRM on this thing is less friendly than my recent colonoscopy—you get three installs. That's it. No install returned for uninstallation, or anything else. You install it three times, then you're out $50," they wrote. "I won't rent my video games, EA."    [ARS Technica...]   [Comments...]

See also

None found.

Hardware | Windows | Linux | Security | Mobile Devices | Gaming
Tech Business | Editorial | General News | folding@home

Forum | Download Files

Copyright ©2001 - 2012, AOA Forums.  All rights reserved.

Alliance of Overclocking Arts

Links monetized by VigLink

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either