Forum latest

Black Silicon Could Usher in Huge Improvements in Solar Cells, Consumer Electronics
General
Written by Daniel   
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 11:47
Black silicon offers up to 500 times more light sensitivity than normal silicon
Shane McGlaun (Blog) - October 13, 2008 1:03 PM

Silicon is the foundation of our digital lives. Without silicon, we wouldn't have CPUs, digital cameras, video cameras, and many of the other items we take for granted in today's technologically advanced society. As such an important part of our lives, an advance in the basic silicon technology electrical products today are based on can have huge benefits and broad implications.

Harvard physicist Eric Mazur and his graduate students discovered a new type of silicon dubbed black silicon while conducting research in the late 1990's. The discovery of black silicon was made when Mazur and his students began thinking outside the parameters of research being conducted on grants from the U.S. government.

Mazur was conducting research funded by the Army Research Organization to explore catalytic reactions on metallic surfaces. Mazur told The New York Times, "I got tired of metals and was worrying that my Army funding would dry up. I wrote the new direction into a research proposal without thinking much about it — I just wrote it in; I don’t know why." The new direction was interesting enough to the U.S. government to continue providing funds.

The discovery of black silicon was made when a very powerful laser was shined on a silicon wafer with sulfur hexafluoride applied to it. The New York Times reports that the laser used in the discovery was able to briefly match the energy produced by the sun falling on the entire surface of the earth....  [DailyTech...]    [Comments...]

See also

None found.

Hardware | Windows | Linux | Security | Mobile Devices | Gaming
Tech Business | Editorial | General News | folding@home

Forum | Download Files

Copyright ©2001 - 2012, AOA Forums.  All rights reserved.

Alliance of Overclocking Arts

Links monetized by VigLink

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either