Forum latest

Fedora 10 released, brimming with new features
General
Written by Daniel   
Tuesday, 25 November 2008 11:24
It's time for me to wear my special hat again.

By Ryan Paul | Published: November 25, 2008 - 09:25AM CT
 The Fedora developer community has announced the official release of Fedora 10, a new version of the popular open source Linux distribution. This release is a promising step forward for Fedora and it introduces some important new features and technologies that bring more robustness and usability to the desktop user experience.

Fedora 10 is built on Linux kernel version 2.6.27, which was officially released in October. This version comes with improved compatibility for popular webcam devices and also includes the new Atheros ath9k wireless driver. Firefox 3.0.4, the latest bugfix release of the popular open source web browser, is also included in the default installation.
KDE and GNOME in Fedora 10

Fedora 10 offers installation options for both GNOME 2.24 and KDE 4.1, the latest versions of the two most popular Linux desktop environments. GNOME 2.24, which was released in September, introduced the Empathy instant messaging client and also brought tabbed browsing and other improvements to GNOME's Nautilus file manager.

Empathy is built on the Telepathy instant messaging framework and is designed to supply audio/video chat functionality and significantly tighter desktop integration than the incumbent Pidgin messaging program. Although Empathy shows an enormous amount of promise and could prove to be a big step forward for GNOME messaging, it is still very rough around the edges and is missing some features. Some distributions—including Ubuntu—have declined to ship Empathy in recent releases. It was initially included in the Fedora 10 release candidate, but it was swapped back out for Pidgin in the final release at the very last minute. Users who want to try Empathy can still install it from the repository, but Pidgin is still the default in this release. My own testing has confirmed that it is sufficiently robust for day-to-day use, but I think it really needs a bit more time to bake before it will be crispy enough to beat Pidgin in a taste test.  Fedora Download !

[ArsTechnica....]    [Comments...]

See also

None found.

Hardware | Windows | Linux | Security | Mobile Devices | Gaming
Tech Business | Editorial | General News | folding@home

Forum | Download Files

Copyright ©2001 - 2012, AOA Forums.  All rights reserved.

Alliance of Overclocking Arts

Links monetized by VigLink

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either