Forum latest

Details About Microsoft's Mysterious, Cloud-Based 'My Phone' Emerge
General
Written by Daniel   
Friday, 06 February 2009 12:41

Reports indicated that Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) has been preparing a service that resembles Apple's MobileMe product, which allows end users to sync their contacts and other information to a Web site in the cloud.

Posted by Eric Zeman, Feb 6, 2009 09:37 AM

It appears those reports were true, because a Microsoft-branded Web site recently appeared that provides details about the service, which will be called "My Phone".

Sorry, but "My Phone" is just a bad name. The name that people thought was going to be attached to this service was SkyBox. In fact, the URL still has the name SkyBox in it. For some reason, that name does not appear on the new Web site. Bad name aside, here are the details.

Microsoft's My Phone will allow users to do the following:

* My Phone syncs information on your mobile phone to a storage space on a web site hosted by Microsoft. If your phone is lost or stolen, or if you upgrade to a new phone, you can easily restore the contacts, calendar appointments, photos, and other information that you stored on My Phone to a compatible new or replacement phone. Most phones that run the Windows Mobile 6 operating system are compatible with My Phone service.
    * Microsoft My Phone enables you to view and manage phone information by using a web browser. In your web account, you can add, edit, and delete contacts and calendar appointments, and the changes will appear on your phone the next time that you sync.
    * Microsoft My Phone makes it easy to view photos on your computer that were taken with your camera phone. From your web account, you can save photos to your computer or can e-mail them to family and friends.

Here's some information from the Q&A about some of the finer details:

[Information Week...]   [Comments...]

See also

None found.

Hardware | Windows | Linux | Security | Mobile Devices | Gaming
Tech Business | Editorial | General News | folding@home

Forum | Download Files

Copyright ©2001 - 2012, AOA Forums.  All rights reserved.

Alliance of Overclocking Arts

Links monetized by VigLink

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either