Forum latest

The Truth - Macintosh Versus PC
General
Written by Gizmo   
Monday, 20 April 2009 13:31

From Examiner.com, by David Courbanou

I'm not here to give you an esoteric conversation on why Mac's are better than PC's, that doesn't convince people about anything other than your own arrogance. Besides, chances are, if you're reading this, you're already a Mac fan, so I'm probably preaching to the choir. But I'm pretty fed-up with the Microsoft 'laptop hunter' nonsense that's been coming out of Redmond lately. I don't care if you're a Mac or PC person, but you should get the facts; because you're not getting them from Redmond or even Cupertino, no matter how snarky and smart Justin Long sounds.

I know I'm not the first one to say something about this, but I feel the need to address all the points people bring up into one conglomeration. The first point I want to make has been analyzed by Arik Hesseldhal in Business Week. It's all about the value-to-dollar ratio you get when you buy a PC versus a Mac.

Using Microsoft's first advert with Lauren (who buys this HP Laptop at $699, since it's under $1K and 17 inches), Arik looks at what Lauren would have to buy to get what she'd be getting if she bought a Macbook at $999. The first thing on the list is an anti-virus subscription. Arik estimates that puts her in the hole about $50 bucks a year. That's all well and good, except that for the life of that computer, she'll be shelling out that much just for anti-virus. Now, I'm not saying there aren't alternative free software out there, and I'm not saying she's going to have that computer for the rest of her life, but right away, you've got yourself in the hole. Arik esitmates 3 years is about the lifespan of her HP usage; that's $150.

[Read Full Story] [Discuss in Forums]

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either