Forum latest

A2 Product Design Project
General
Written by aghastpumpkin   
Tuesday, 28 March 2006 07:25
Some of you may remember a thread of mine back last summer talking about my A2 level project.
After several months, it's finally coming together. Alas, including a media centre PC was just not feasble. In fact, there will now be no electronics at all. But I thought I'd still share it with all of you.
I've got two weeks to finish the lids, attach the feet and varnish all the wood.


Firstly, the lids were made. These lids consist of side panels with pivots to attach to a pivot point on the main unit. The sides have a veneered cover.
These images show the layering of the veneer for the cover.

The glue we used was so strong that it was stuck on my fingers for days afterwards.

However, before we did this, we had to make the mould. The mould consisted of a two peices of wood at a 90 degree angle supported by four slats. The corner was sanded to the required radius. The veneered wood was placed on this and then two blocks of wood were used to clamp it tight to the mould. You can see our method used to attain an even smooth curve in the pictures.

After the first lid surface was made, we made the second using the same mould.

Then we moved onto the sides of the lids. These were made of 6mm plywood veneer. They were cut on a circulur saw and a band saw. The holes for the pivot were drilled using a Forstner drill peice.
Attached Thumbnails

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00079.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	17189           Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	17192 

Read more, in the forums!

 
Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either