Forum latest

Microsoft to Increase XBox 360 Chip Orders
General
Written by Gizmo   
Tuesday, 11 April 2006 10:56

Digitimes is reporting that Microsoft has notified its Taiwan-based semiconductor partners about an order ramp-up starting in April.  Some might consider this to be significant news, and Microsoft is definitely spinning it that way (can you blame them?).  However, there is a difference between ramping up orders to the manufacturers and actually having units available.  If Microsoft is only ramping orders to its suppliers as of April, then one cannot reasonably expect to be seeing finished product on the shelves until about mid-summer (late July or so), and that is assuming that the manufacturers are able to actually begin ramping production immediately (which may be a big assumption).  Looks to me more like MS is gearing up production to get ready for the Christmas season, since I would expect that this production ramp will only become visible in the channel around about September.

However, I've been known to be wrong before.  What do you think?  Are we going to start seeing XBox360s suddenly appearing en-masse on the shelves next week?  Mid-Summer?  Early Fall?  Tell us, in the forums! 

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either