Forum latest

IBM Having Cell Yeild Problems?
General
Written by Gizmo   
Friday, 05 May 2006 11:47

The Inquirer is reporting that IBM's yeilds for Sony's PS3 Cell chip 'are horrible'.  However, another site is reporting that IBM is claiming that yeilds are actually quite good for where they are in the manufacturing process.

So, which is it?  Are yeilds, horrible, or are they pretty good?  Well, I suspect the answer is that both statements are probably factually correct.  I don't know when IBM started manufacturing on the Cell, but if it happened fairly recently, (like in the last month or so), yeilds would probably be in the 'horrible' category, meaning that they aren't yet at a level where they can go to production.  At the same time, it is entirely possible that they could be further up the learning curve than they had planned on being at this point in time, meaning that they yeilds actually could be better than they were expecting.

In related news, Chines site MyDrivers.Com is supposedly claiming that Taiwanese company COMPEQ is going to start gearing up to produce PS3 PC boards in June (I can't read Chinese, but that is what these folks are claiming it says).  This is fueling speculation that the PS3 won't actually be available until sometime in 2007.  My own opinion is that Sony appears to be right on schedule for their stated November 2006 release.

So, what do you think?  Is IBM really having yeild problems?  Is Sony starting production late?  Will there be any PS3s available at the November release date, or even in time for the holidays?  Tell us, in the forums! 

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either