Forum latest

Chipset Power Consumption
General
Written by Gizmo   
Tuesday, 23 May 2006 08:59

The Inquirer has an interesting article where Charlie ruminates on the issues of chipset power consumption and how that is affecting motherboards.  He points out that nVidia chipsets seem to consume rather more power than ATI chipsets.  He then goes on to point out that AMD could be losing it's CPU power consumption edge over Intel due to chipset inefficiencies.  In other words, everything AMD gains on the CPU side is lost in the total system.

I've noticed the increased power consumption myself, and I'm sure all of you have as well (after all, you didn't seriously think those heat-sinks, fans, and heat-pipes being attached to the chipsets were there just for show, did you?), but I'd not seriously thought about the consequences of it up to the is point.

So, what do you think?  Is chipset power consumption starting to get out of hand?  Does ATI really have a lower-power-with-equivalent-performance solution compared to nVidia?  And what about Intel and their chipset power consumption?  Tell us, in the forums!

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either