Forum latest

CPU Water Cooling
General
Written by Gizmo   
Tuesday, 30 May 2006 07:43

IBM is working on technology to water cool CPUs.  "Big deal", I can hear you say, "overclockers have been using water cooling for years".  Well, OK, I can follow you with that.  But IBM's tech is based on jet impingement technology. "So?", You say "I can buy a Storm waterblock that uses the same technology".  Well, Ok, you've got a point there.  But here's the really neat part; IBM is working on integrating the water cooling technology right into the package.

Did that get your attention?

This isn't some fancy waterblock that is mounted to the package at manufacturing or something like that; this is real water cooling built right into the CPU.  According to this article at Techworld, IBM is developing technology that will incorporate thousands of tiny water-jets measuring just 30-50 microns across, and spaced 100 microns apart right into the CPU package, complete with cold and hot manifolds.

The whole goal of IBM's research is to get as close to the source of the heat as possible, and get it off the chip as quickly as possible.  The researchers admit that they are still a ways away from a production system: "We're only working on demonstrators right now. It's not a short term problem".  However, they want to get to a manufacturable system as quickly as possible.

So, is this an idea whose time has finally come?  Will we see more of this in the future?  Does this mean the end of traditional water cooling, and with it overclocking as we have known it?  Tell us, in the forums!

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either