Forum latest

AMD Making a Comeback?
Tech Business
Written by Gizmo   
Wednesday, 12 August 2009 11:27
I'm no financial analyst, and I don't pretend to understand the finer points of economics, but there's an interesting writeup over at thestreet.com.

The gist of this fellow's argument is that Intel is growing marketshare in the netbook space at the expense of marketshare in the notebook space.  This is all well and good, except that Intel makes less than HALF the return on investment with its Atom CPUs that it makes with the mobile Pennryns (according to the figures, Intel will make about $70,000/wafer for Atom CPUs, and about $185,000/wafer for Pennryn CPUs).  Add to this that AMD is being aggressive in the notebook market, resulting in Intel losing a small amount of market share there, and then factor in that the netbook market is about to be invaded by ARM-based netbooks which could have a serious impact on Intel's market-share, and then finally consider that AMD are also pushing hard at the server sector with their 6- and 8-core Opterons.

As I said, I don't pretend to understand the finer points of economics, and I'm not even certain I agree with all of this fellow's points, but it is an interesting read.

Check it out here: Intel's Grip on Notebooks, Netbooks Slips and then discuss it in the forums!

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either